Roasted chickpeas are my new fave obsession. They’re SO easy to make and the prep time is about 5 minutes. Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) are loaded with protein, lots of antioxidants, Vitamin B and a whole lot of fiber. Hummus is made from pureed chickpeas, but roasting them does it for me. In the recipe below, I’ve listed alot of different spices you can sprinkle on before you roast them, but obviously you don’t want to use them all. Whatever strikes your fancy is perfect. My favorite way is to just season them with salt but my husband likes more “hot” so I sprinkle his batch with hot pepper flakes. My son loves a cinnamon/sugar combo on his. Take your pick from my list or be creative and make up your own version.
The key to the finished “crunch” is to get your chickpeas nearly dry before you cook them. After rinsing and draining the beans, pour them out onto paper towels and roll them around a bit. They don’t have to be completely dry. Not much can go wrong with this easy recipe.
What You’ll Need
- 2 cans organic chickpeas/garbanzo beans (we like Eden Foods because their lids are BPA free)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp of whatever else sounds good to you
Putting It All Together
1. Preheat oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with foil.
2. Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Pour onto paper towel and blot top of beans with more paper towel.
3. Pour into bowl and coat with olive oil.
4. Sprinkle with your spice/spices of choice, give a quick stir and spread them in a single layer on your baking sheet.
5. Bake for 15 minutes.
6. Take out of oven and with a spatula flip them around a bit and roast another 15-20 minutes. They’re done when they’ve turned a a crispy brown and are no longer mushy.
7. The beans won’t stay crisp for more than a day or two in a covered container. That’s never a problem at my house since they’re always eaten the first day. Enjoy!