Note: This sauce freezes great. Save it for the winter months to re-capture that summer fresh tomato taste!
We’re still picking red tomatoes from our garden. They’re getting fewer and fewer, but don’t give up on those green ones left just yet. We’ve enjoyed the summer tomato salads and the deep red salsas. Let’s dig in to Kath’s Chunky Marinara Sauce. I promise it’s easy and quick.
What You’ll Need
- 8-10 large organic tomatoes
- 3-5 cloves garlic
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 organic basil leaves
Putting It Together
1. Wash tomatoes and chop into 1/2 inch cubes, keeping all the juices.
2. Chop the garlic.
3. In a large heavy skillet (we love cast iron) heat up the 1/8 cup olive oil on medium heat.
4. Add the tomatoes, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
5. Simmer until tomatoes cook down or until desired tenderness, about 25 minutes.
6. Stir in basil 5 minutes before serving. Save a few leaves for garnish.
7. Spoon over your favorite pasta.