Please welcome back our travel and entertainment writer, Shannon Unger. While traveling through Central America, Shan learned a whole lot about one of her favorite subjects, chocolate! For Thanksgiving desert, Shannon wants to treat you to her Fair Trade, organic chocolate mousse recipe. Try it, we know you’ll love it- we do!
What You’ll Need:
- 8 ounces semisweet fair trade certified chocolate
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter or earth balance
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup super fine fair trade certified sugar
- 1 1/4 cups cold, heavy cream
- Hand Mixer
- Metal Mixing Bowls
- Wooden Spoon
Putting It All Together:
- Set up a double boiler on your stove by placing a bowl or sauce pan over a pot of hot water.
- Melt the chocolate and butter, stirring constantly. **Constantly as in all of the time, so as to avoid burnt chocolate**
- Remove from heat and stir with a heavy wooden spoon until smooth.
- Return to heat and add egg yolks one at a time, mixing well after the addition of each.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks start to form.
- Add 2 tablespoons of sugar and mix until stiff. **When separating eggs, be sure to avoid any yolk into the egg whites. It will make it virtually impossible to get the consistency of the egg whites correct.**
- In another clean bowl (best when cold), beat the cream until it starts to froth.
- Add 2 tablespoons of sugar and continue mixing until it holds soft peaks.
- Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture until no white appears.
- Gradually fold in the whipped cream, saving 1/2 cup or so for garnish.
- Transfer to a serving dish and refrigerate until chilled.