Packed with vitamins A & C, rich in potassium, calcium and iron, passion fruit is one of those cool little fruits you can have so much fun with in the kitchen! Because it finally cooled off a bit today, we decided on a mid-afternoon baked treat featuring the now -local to San Diego fruit. And, we have apples blooming like crazy out back- the perfect comfort food as we transition toward fall.
Let us know what you think of this kid-friendly treat! Remember, the passion fruit are ripe when wrinkly!
What You’ll Need:
- 6 Washed, sliced passion fruit
- 4 small, washed & diced apples
- 1 or 2 apples sliced in half
- juice of half a lemon
- 4 slices of vanilla bean skin
- Medium size glass or ceramic baking dish
Putting It All Together:
- Place extra 1 or 2 sliced in half apples to the outer edges of the baking dish. These will secure the passion fruit.
- Fill each half of your sliced passion fruit with diced apples, pushing passion fruit seeds to the bottom.
- Place each half in the dish.
- Spoon remaining diced apple in any nooks and crannies in the dish (see the photo above).
- Squeeze lemon over fruit.
- Place cut pieces of vanilla skin over sliced apples.
- Sprinkle cinnamon over sliced and diced apples as well as over the top of the filled passion fruit.
- Drizzle tiny amount of agave over each filled passion fruit as well as sliced apples.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.