See my little friend, Mr. Inch Worm? He’s cute right? Cute as inchworms may be, it’s doubtful anyone cares to ingest them!
Inchworms, known as the canker worm are the larvae of moths. If left to thrive in a garden, they’ll leave behind a silky residue that wilts fragile leaves. One good reason to mist your leaves on hotter days!
As you see in the picture, Mr. Inch Worm made his way to my kitchen from the garden. Luckily, he’s big enough to see! While lots of insect-like crawlies, such as Lady Bugs and spiders are friends to gardens, some leave behind bacteria better not ingested. Sometimes Peter Rabbit and Mr. Chipmunk pay a visit to the garden at night. If they decide to use the garden as a bathroom (which we hope they don’t), we could be looking at an additional source of un-wanted microbial residue on the plants.
If you thought your harvest was sans residue because it grew in your backyard, you’ll now start paying attention to its “visitors.” Go back, wash again; make them as squeaky clean as possible!