Mint spreads like wild fire this time of year. When Kath and I were out in the garden we noticed the spearmint was starting to travel about already. I was so excited when my dad picked tons for me to bring back to Cali! I thought, “yum mojitos!” Just yesterday though out in my Cali yard, I noticed a major infiltration of peppermint! What did I do? I picked it and gave it out as holiday party favors of course!
As I handed one guest her minty bouquet she replied in her strong Long Island accent, “uhm thanks for the gift, but what do you suppose I’ll be doing with all this?” Figuring everyone used mint I glanced at her side-ways, smiled and said, “when you get home from work tomorrow, get on gardeneats. I’ll write a blog post in your honor.” … I think she gets home at five, I’d better get listing my minty ways!
Have well-traveling mint throughout your yard? Here’s my top picks for fragrant infusions!
- Mint juleps
- Honey infused with torn mint leaves
- Lemon mint tisane
- Frozen lemon sprigs for vanilla gelato garnish
- Olive oil, lemon, several sprigs of mint to spruce up split ends
- Minted quinoa, cous cous or rice pilaf
- Mint and lavender lemonade
- Champagne or prosecco with a sprig to garnish
- Bubbly water, lemon and mint
I like to keep some mint in a vase by the front entrance to greet guests or in the restrooms to freshen up the air. Need a mid-afternoon pick me up? Rub the leaves between your fingertips just under your nose to liven up!