- 2 (6-8 ounce) fish filet
- 1 medium size fennel bulb, chopped
- 4 oz hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Remove fish from refrigerator 15 minutes prior to cooking and allow to come to room temperature. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Toast hazelnuts in a saute pan over medium heat or in a 400 degree oven until golden brown. Completely cool in refrigerator. Cut fennel into ½ inch pieces. Heat medium saute pan until hot and add 2 tsp of oil and fennel. Cook until caramelized and tender. Season with salt and pepper and set aside to cool.
- In food processor, pulse cooled hazelnuts 1-2 times to break up the whole pieces. Add half the cooked fennel and pulse 1-2 more times. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil, lemon juice, and chopped cilantro and pulse 1-2 times. Add remaining fennel and mix by hand. (Pesto can be made in advance and kept in fridge for several days).
- Heat large saute pan on medium high heat until almost smoking and add 1 ½ tbsp olive oil. Place fish skin side down and gently shake pan so fish doesn’t stick. Cook for 3-4 minutes, reduce heat and cook until ¾ cooked through, about 10 minutes. Flip fish and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Top fish with pesto and serve with choice of vegetables.
W I L D char provides: Protein – 20 g Fat – 8.1 g Potassium – 551 mg Omega-3 – 6 g