- 5 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups white rice
- 1/4 cup mung beans
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cardamon
- 3 pieces of da zao (Chinese red date)
- handful of shitake mushrooms
- 3 tsp black sesame seeds
- Boil the water in a ceramic or glass pan
- Add beans and rice
- Add your extras*
- Boil approx 45 minutes on med-low stirring occasionally
- Note: Want it to be creamy, like porridge? Cook your congee longer by gradually adding water and occasionally stirring. Can also be made over the course of seven-ten hours in a crock pot.
*Add cinnamon and cardamon the last half hour of cooking
Why You’ll Love Congee:Enhances immunity Harmonizes digestion Improves metabolism Super Tasty!
Congee, a regular staple of the Chinese breakfast menu, is a nutritive mixture of white rice, water and mung bean. Developed to enhance and harmonize digestion, this simple recipe can help stave off intestinal illness as well as fix you up during acute GI distress. Experiencing nausea, diarrhea, constipation or vomiting along with a cold or flu – this stuff is your best friend!Mung beans and rice may sound a little boring, but if nothing else is staying down, congee will!