- 12 ounces organic beef stock
- 1/2 onion (choose whichever is in season) chopped coarsely
- 1 leek stalk chopped coarsely
- 6 coarsely chopped bulbs of garlic
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper chopped including seeds
- 10 pieces Huang Qi/Chinese Astragalus
- 5 pieces of Da Zao/Chinese Date
- 6 slices of Sheng Jiang/Ginger slices
- 1/2 teaspoon sage powder
- 1/2 pound rice noodles or bean curd noodle or brown rice (optional)
- 1/4 pound shaved organic beef (optional)
- 2 tbl Bragg’s apple cider vinegar
- 4 tbl Bragg’s liquid aminos
- 1 cup seasonal mushrooms coarsely chopped
- 2 tbl black sesame oil
- After you done your chopping, in a large soup pan, sautee garlic and onion over medium heat with sesame oil for five minutes
- To this add broth or stock, apple cider vinegar and liquid aminos
- Add your chopped herbs, spices and vegetables stirring to a quick boil
- Once it’s reached a boil, reduce, simmer and cover for 30 minutes
- Last 5 minutes of cooking, either add rice or noodles. These can be cooked separately and added at the end as well.
- If you’re adding shaved beef, add this the last 15 minutes.
This soup might look scary to the kids, but that doesn’t mean you can’t convince them it’s tasty. Use a hand blender to mask all of the veggies and herbs… We like to call it Disappearing Vegetable Soup. If it seems too strong for your tot, try this family recipe, contributor, Laura Seery adapted (you’ll also find some great ways to interact with kids and food too).Medicinal Use:IndicationsThis soup is indicated where wind-cold and wind-dryness has attacked the exterior. The acrid, dispersing, warming nature of these ingredients enforces the treatment principle below.Treatment PrincipleEliminate wind by stabilizing the exterior, dispersing coldness, regulate yang, the lung and stomach channels, gently moisten dryness.Note:This treatment principle regulates and fortifies immunity and endocrine function. Please email me if you’d like to hear more about the phyto-bio-availability of therapeutic compounds.