- 5 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups white rice
- 1/4 cup mung beans
- handful of green beans
- 1/4 cup roasted organic peanuts whichever you have on hand that you’ve saved for winter or is locally available*: jarred/canned
- sliced pears or mangos
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- Boil the water in a ceramic or glass pan
- Add beans and rice
- Chop the green beans
- Slice fruit
- Add the sweet and savory above leaving the peanuts until last
- Boil approx 45 minutes on med-low stirring occasionally
- While cooking, crush peanuts in a bag. Once finished, top upon serving
Note: Want it to be creamy, like porridge? Cook your congee longer by gradually adding water and occasionally stirring. Can also be made over the course of seven-ten hours in a crock pot.
*Locally available means it is or just was growing in your region.